GOALS OCD SUPPORT GROUP
BTC is pleased to announce we are now offering a G.O.A.L. (Giving Obsessive-Compulsives Another Lifestyle) group. The GOAL group is a professional-assisted group, meaning that while a therapist is present at every meeting, the group is run by members. The group is free and is open to all OCD sufferers whether clients of the clinic or not.
Who is the group for?
1. Adults, 18 and over who suffer from symptoms of OCD. This group is not intended for sufferers of “OCD spectrum” or related disorders, such as Hoarding Disorder, Trichotillomania (Hair-Pulling Disorder), unless the individual has concurrent symptoms of OCD.
2. GOALS group is intended as a support group not a substitute for appropriate psychotherapeutic services. Members must be showing safe behaviors in order to attend. If you believe that you are a threat to your own or others’ safety, call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room. If in crisis and in need of immediate help, contact Montgomery County Crisis Services at 240-777-4000.
3. Guest speakers and family members are only permitted to attend the group periodically as an exception under the condition that the members who are present have first given unanimous verbal consent.
Purpose of the meetings
1. Provide a place to discuss issues directly and indirectly relevant to OCD,
2. Foster and support individuals with taking control over their OCD symptoms (goal planning); and
3. Allow informal socializing.
Due to limited space, BTC clients will be given priority and up to 5 members from outside of BTC will be welcome to participate. No charge to attend. Members are encouraged to bring snacks and drinks for the informal socializing portion of the meeting. Please contact Noah Weintraub, Psy.D. at 301-593-4040, ext. 239 for inquiries about joining the group.
Guidelines for GOAL Group members
1. Please be on time. In order to provide the most cohesive, supportive and helpful group environment possible, it is important that you arrive on time. If OCD presents a challenge in this area, use it as an opportunity to gain control of OCD and show it who is the boss! The doors will be closed 15 minutes after the session start time.
2. Please adopt a nonjudgmental attitude toward other members. This group is intended to provide a supportive environment while members take on the responsibility of challenging and taking charge of their symptoms. You can display a nonjudgmental attitude by listening intently, imagining what it is like in the other members’ shoes and making supportive rather than critical statements.
3. Please wait until others are finished talking before you speak.
4. Please do not monopolize discussion time. Try to monitor how much time you are using while you speak, and allow others equal time to speak as well. BTC therapists may redirect the discussions to give everyone a fair chance to speak.
We will be meeting during the following Wednesdays from 7:00 p.m.–9:00 p.m. at BTC:
October 25, 2017
November 22- No Meeting (Thanksgiving Holiday)
January 3, 2018
CHECK BACK PERIODICALLY WITH THE ABOVE SCHEDULE FOR ANY POSSIBLE CHANGES. Please contact Dr. Noah Weintraub at 301-593-4040, ext 239 with any questions about the GOAL group or the schedule.